I have been exclusively engaged by Boulettes LLC to conduct this executive search. Resumes sent to Boulettes Larder, Bouli Bar, or any of its owners or employees will be forwarded to me for review and consideration. Please read this posting carefully before applying.
Boulettes Larder is an acclaimed San Francisco restaurant and food retail business located in the iconic Ferry Building. Boulettes was founded in 2003 by Amaryll Schwertner and Lori Regis, who previously owned and operated Star’s Restaurant at Civic Center. By day, the restaurant serves breakfast and lunch from its open kitchen to a 40-60 seat dining room, while retail customers shop the larder for hard-to-find culinary ingredients. By night, Boulettes converts into an intimate space for private dinners.
Chef Schwertner and Lori began their restaurant careers 30 years ago at the forefront of what has now developed into a nationwide greenmarket movement. Along with a small group of chefs in Northern California, Chef Schwertner nurtured the efforts of farmers who were growing extraordinary quality sustainable produce which, in turn, nurtured the development of urban farmers markets. The daily changing menus at Boulettes reflects Chef Schwertner’s ongoing commitment to using conscientiously produced culinary ingredients.
Boulettes is expanding and opening Bouli Bar, a casual restaurant with full liquor license serving pizzas and flatbreads from a wood burning oven. Bouli Bar will have 49 seats and will be adjacent to Boulettes Larder. Bouli Bar is expected to open in June.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a nationally-recognized San Francisco restaurant and retail food operation and to assist its owners in the upcoming growth phase for the company. The General Manager (“GM”) will be responsible for (1) leading and managing the daily operations of the restaurant and its management team, (2) ensuring the satisfaction of guests and, ultimately, the overall profitability and success of the business, and (3) conveying to all employees and to the public the vision of the owners to manifest a viable body of work.
The Restaurant Manager, Bar Manager, and Special Events Manager (to be recruited and hired by the GM and the owners) all report to the GM. The GM reports directly to the owners.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Overall accountability for operations at Boulettes Larder and Bouli Bar, ensuring desired business outcomes.
- Accountability for profit and loss management by identifying and implementing local marketing strategies, maximizing revenues, following cash control procedures, managing labor costs, and creating/reviewing financial reports.
- Consistently provides a quality product and customer service experience that delivers total customer service and satisfaction. Models and creates a customer service environment that mimics and is informed by the style of the owners.
- Leads restaurant management team in recruiting, selecting, hiring, training, and retaining all non-kitchen employees, including Restaurant Manager, Bar Manager and Special Events Manager.
- Evaluates all non-kitchen employees based on clearly communicated standards and expectations. Conducts regular performance evaluations. Administers prompt, fair, and consistent corrective action for all violations of company rules, policies, or procedures.
- Ensures and enforces compliance with all restaurant policies and procedures, as well as local health department and other governmental regulations, labor and employment laws, food handling, safety, and other governmental rules and regulations.
- Creates an appropriate, cost-effective labor schedule for all non-kitchen employees and, with a payroll company, manages the payroll function.
- Ensures timely production of all menus and beverage lists, with proper pricing.
- Serves as a role model and sets a positive, professional example for the entire team.
- Conducts regular meetings with staff to discuss restaurant operations issues and attends regular meetings with owners to discuss general business issues and strategies.
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university. Candidates with graduate business degrees, especially in hospitality management, are strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years’ prior restaurant management experience, with a proven background in operations and human resources. Prior experience with revenue and cost analysis and reporting is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership that creates a positive working environment, motivates others to perform at their best, and identifies and nurtures others for future leadership roles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and interest in, food, wine, and customer service.
- The ability to proactively identify and prioritize problems, and then to delegate as necessary to achieve the most efficient solutions.
- The flexibility to multi-task and perform other work as necessary, outside your normal role, to ensure customer satisfaction and overall business success.
- The ability to simultaneously project calm, strength/confidence, and empathy during stressful and/or emotional situations.
- The ability to work 50-60 hours per week, or more as needed, including weekends and holidays.
- Excellent basic math skills and the ability to a operate POS system and read/create/edit Excel spreadsheets.
- Proficiency on both PCs and Macs.
- Excellency in both written and spoken English, with a working knowledge of Spanish preferred.
Interested and Qualified?
To apply for this position, please submit your resume (with salary history) and a cover letter (see instructions below) to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can apply through LinkedIn’s “Jobs” feature by going here. No phone calls, please.
Your cover letter must address this issue – “Tell us about a time when you were challenged by a customer or boss about a particular decision you had made. How did you handle that situation? What did you learn from it?”